Thursday 22 March 2012

WHY SUCH EXTRAVAGANT RAISED BEDS?

A few people have very kindly offered other, cheaper, instant solutions to my rather extravagant raised bed project.  I truly welcome all suggestions.

Unfortuantely, living in an area prone to hurricanes and resultant flash floods, combined with the fact that I am on a very steep slope with a good deal of land above me, this feels like a "needs must" project.

Although costly, the thought of all the hard work of growing organic vegetables, only to have them washed away in the blink of an eye is too upsetting to contemplate; so concrete footings, block walls and drainage pipes feel like the only way to go.....

Here's what happened to my top soil the last time we had a flash flood....


Can you see the house in the very early stages up on the hill?

No comments:

Post a Comment